edited January 26 in ORK Support
Hey all,

I'm using Ork purchased from the store and imported into my project.

I'm having a weird problem. When I build on my Windows workstation, everything works fine. I get the main menu up. I just finished tutorial 12, everything works fine. However, when I push up to my Gitlab repo which activates Kubernetes-based runners using the GameCI Docker images, the build claims it completes successfully, but when I run it I get no main menu, no music, nothing. Just the cloud background.

I've tried every combination of setting the menu to launch that I could. I've disabled my music (MP3s from a CC-licensed author), I've reimported all assets. I have stripping disabled, I started renaming files to not have spaces in them just in case, so far, nothing has worked.

From what I can tell, the Unity Managed directory is differently sized in the builds, as are many of the other packed resources files. Copying and pasting the Resources directory, app.info, boot.config, globalagamemangers and globalgamemanagers.assets files over, then copying sharedassets0 over from the Windows build into the Linux build caused the menu to pop up, which suggested to me that something wasn't being linked, but I have stripping disabled so I'm even more confused.

Google and the forum search function haven't turned up anything for me, but I wanted to check to see if this was a known Ork issue, either a setting I might have wrong or a "you can't compile for Windows on Linux, Moonmoon" issue.

What should I do, next?

Edit: I can arrange for repo/source access to Gaming is Love, and if people want the actual builds to compare, I can scrub the CC-licensed music off of them to try out.
Post edited by Moonmoon on
  • I don't have any experience with it and it's not really officially supported. It's most likely that ORK's DLLs are stripped, try setting up a linker (link XML), see the Unity documentation for details.
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • I have a link xml file set up as per this guide. Its full path is projectroot/Assets/link.xml, but I am using Mono at the moment with stripping set to disabled.

    It looks like the assembly full names are based off of dll filenames. I added a fourth line for OrkFrameworkEditor with no luck.


    I checked my build logs and noticed that, in the CI log, I have lines like:

    Used Assets and files from the Resources folder, sorted by uncompressed size:
    ...
    0.0 kb 0.0% Assets/ORK Framework/ORKProject.asset



    On Windows/on my working build in my Editor.log, I've replicated twice (by opening Unity, building, shutting down):

    563.2 kb 0.7% Assets/ORK Framework/ORKProject.asset


    It looks like Assets/Ork Framework/OrkProject.asset is checked into the repo and appears to be the correct size.


    There isn't anything expressly telling it to exclude those assets from a build, so I'm moderately confused. The build runner has over a terabyte of SAS SSD array to work on, so I'm a bit confused. Part of me wonders if my CI system is having trouble verifying I have a license to use those particular files, or if this is some weird permissions issue.

    Do you mind if I link the developers of the Unity CI software that I'm using to this thread?
  • Hm, maybe try putting it in the ORK Framework/DLL folder, though I'm not sure if that will make any difference.

    If the ORKProject.asset is 0 kb in the build it'll naturally not contain anything, or does that mean it's not included at all?
    Make sure you have a scene in your build settings with a Game Starter that references your project asset, or maybe try adding it to the Preloaded Assets in the player settings of Unity.

    Sure, link away, all I can do is guess anyway :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
  • It is with some chagrin I must admit that I found the issue causing the problem and the solution. I went ahead, copied my local copy of my project out of its directory and reverted to the last commit from my git repository, popped it open in Unity, and noticed that there were warning messages about meta files existing for DLLs that didn't exist.

    A quick Google for "why are my DLLs missing from my repository" popped up https://stackoverflow.com/questions/15515729/git-repository-ignoring-all-dlls which informed me that Sourcetree has a default global gitignore list that prevents many binary files from being committed to repositories.

    This default global gitignore list includes binary files like DLLs and other executables.

    On Sourcetree, this global gitignore list is under tools->options->Git->Edit File->comment out (#) what's broken.

    Anyway. I hope future Ork users driving version control with Sourcetree and having issues with missing files specifically the tutorial menu not showing but the background menu showing eventually run into this thread. Thanks for your time! :)
  • Well, great that you found the issue :)
    Please consider rating/reviewing my products on the Asset Store (hopefully positively), as that helps tremendously with getting found.
    If you're enjoying my products, updates and support, please consider supporting me on patreon.com!
Sign In or Register to comment.